Thursday, May 26, 2011

What are you going to do?



What are you going to do?

As I write this, Brian and members from Galilee Christian Church are in Haiti working with an orphanage through Imagine Missions. I had the privilege of taking a team from Long Hollow Christian Church last year to do the same. Last year about this time Brian was leading a team from Galilee to Nashville to do flood work. I was also taking a team from Long Hollow on a trip to Nashville for the same reason. We worked through the same organization. Just a few weeks ago the tornadoes devastated areas near both of us so we took groups from the churches we serve to help in these areas (Brian in Alabama and I in Virginia). He and I talk about various opportunities to serve.

I love the fact that Brian and I desire to "spur one another on to love and good deeds" and we do this out of Christ' love. 

When God's people see others hurting, then we, as God's people, need to respond. Often, many sit idly by and let others go and do. Let me encourage you to go. If you can't go physically, you can go financially by donating even $10. Maybe you are physically unable to go, or financially unable to support, could you organize a goods drive? People need the supplies and basic necessities (from toiletries to clothes to food) we may take for granted. Most importantly, don't go at it alone, but do go at it!

Get involved. Joplin, Missouri needs help. Glade Spring, Virginia needs help. Tuscaloosa, Alabama needs help, towns that used to be along the Mississippi River need help. Haiti and Japan still need help. There are so many more opportunities to serve that I didn't list. Maybe opportunities that are ongoing in your neighborhood or town. Just don't remain apathetic. Let me ask again, what are you going to do?

all about Christ,
David

P.S. About the picture. Yes, that is a door in the top of a tree. It was one of the most unsettling sites I saw on our trip to Glade Spring, VA. To me it illustrated the destruction and power of the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment