Monday, February 14, 2011

What is Love?

Valentines is a day when thoughts are turned to love. But what is love? Just last night the Grammys were on and I saw on my Twitter feed that people “loved” this performance or that outfit. Tonight, I plan on making a dinner for my wife that she will hopefully “love”. While those may be types of “love”, there is more to “love” than the things we hear, see and eat.

The Scriptures tell us that we are to love our neighbor (Mark 12:31) and that we are to love our enemies (Luke 6:35). As we love our neighbor and our enemies our love must be sincere (Romans 12:9). And we are told the greatest example of love is seen in sacrifice, specifically the sacrifice of Christ for us (1 John 3:16-18).

And I think the last verse I mentioned is where there answer is. Love is not a feeling, or something we fall into. Love is giving. Love is intentional. Love is active. Love is truthful.


Happy Valentines, now go show real love.


all about Christ,
David

P.S. When you read the title did you start bobbing your head a little and singing?

No comments:

Post a Comment